Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Jesus in Islam

Muslims believe in the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ. See how holy Quran describes his birth.


“Behold! The angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth thee Glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus. The son of Mary, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter
And of (the company of) those Nearest to Allah.
"He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. And he shall be (of the company) of the righteous."
She said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed A Plan He but saith to it, 'Be', and it is!

Anybody who believes not in the miraculous birth of Jesus Christ is not a Muslim as by doing so he will be denying the word of God. Anybody who does not believe in the miracles performed by Jesus too is not a Muslim for the same reason. Quran says


"And Allah will teach him The Book and Wisdom, The Law and the Gospel,
"And (appoint him) A messenger to the Children Of Israel (with this message):
"I have come to you, With a sign from your Lord, In that I make for you
Out of clay, as it were, The figure of a bird, And breathe into it, And it becomes a bird  By Allah's leave:  And I heal those Born blind, and the lepers, And I quicken the dead, By Allah's leave; And I declare to you What ye eat, and what ye store In your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe.

Muslims believe that Jesus did bring back to life a dead person, that he cured leapers, that he made a bird of clay and breathed life into it. But we also believe that he did all these things by God’s permission and not by himself. These were things commanded to him and he merely carried them out and the ability to do these things was not his but was provided to him by Allah. According to Islam he was a great prophet of Allah.


"Christ, the son of Mary, was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how God makes His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!" (5:75).


The above verse makes it amply clear that Jesus according to Islam is God’s Prophet and not his son. Please see what Quran says.


"He [Jesus] said: 'I am indeed a servant of God. He has given me revelation and made me a prophet; He has made me blessed wheresoever I be; and He has enjoined on me prayer and charity as long as I live. He has made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable. So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!' Such was Jesus the son of Mary. It is a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is" (19:30-35).


As per Islam Jesus is a great Prophet of Allah. To disbelieve in him is not permitted. At the same time to elevate him to the position of son of God or to ascribe to him divinity is blasphemous and demeaning to The Almighty God. For God according to Quran is


 "Say: He is Allah, the One and Only! Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; He begets not nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him". --- Holy Quran Chapter 112

No comments: